Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My Prayer Demands

Prayer is amazingly powerful. It does raise a theological question, however, as to whether or not we can change God's mind through prayer. I'm not qualified to debate this matter adequately, so I'll address what I have witnessed in my own prayer life: God, more often, uses prayer to change us.

Through the last couple of months, I have begun reading several books written by others who have walked similar paths to ours. They have provided me with encouragement, a sense of community during an isolating situation, and a means to sort through some very confusing questions and emotions. One brought up the story of Lazarus. Many of us are familiar with the story of the miracle Jesus performed. Mary sent word to Jesus of Lazarus' illness in John 11:3 by simply saying, "Lord, he whom you love is ill." No list of demands, no further explanation. How many times have I cried out to God with my worries and cares then proceeded to tell Him who created the universe how to fix it? I have prayed for complete healing of my son's heart, for the tests to be wrong, for God to show himself to me through medical findings that can only be explained by a miracle. The truth is, when I begin telling God how to fix my problems, I make God so small. I place God in a box. I'm asking Him to work within the confines of my human mind and comprehension. I deny myself the blessing of seeing how God chooses to answer my prayers. But perhaps the most damaging consequence is that I open myself up to becoming angry and resenting God when I make demands that are not in line with God's plan.

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24

So what about this scripture? At first glance, one would would think that we get whatever we ask of God, but my prayers have revealed that this isn't the whole truth. I have had people say to me that if I have enough faith and earnestly ask God and believe in Him that my son can be healed. While I know that my son can certainly be healed though God's mighty power, the outcome of this situation has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of faith I have at a particular moment. Such a belief tries to put the power in our own hands and doesn't glorify God at all. I think the point Jesus was trying to make in this passage was that when we focus on God and truly have faith, our will becomes more in line with His perfect will. When we pray for His will to be done, and not our own selfish desires, we can see mighty things happen.

The last few days I have realized that I have no idea how big my God is. I have written words and prayed and read scripture, but my human mind cannot begin to grasp Him or His thoughts and plans. I know that my God is mighty to save, but God does not always choose to save. All I can do is pray for peace and that His glory be revealed to us through these next few months. We are caught up in a storm of emotions that we have not truly begun to understand, but I am clinging to His promises of hope.

Take a moment to reflect on your prayer life...are you trying to limit what God can do through your list of demands?

"Count is all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you my be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

Addison Road What Do I Know of Holy

No comments:

Post a Comment